“Design and implementation of a low cost smart system for pre-diagnosis and tele-care for infectious diseases in elderly people (SPIDEP)”, is co-funded by ERAnet LAC programme.
In Romania the funding agency is https://uefiscdi.ro/
The SPIDEP project is intended to build an ICT-based framework to support the early diagnosis of infectious diseases. The project includes the design, development and implementation of a Hardware platform capable to support the communication of the pervasive system with the central cloud environment. The final part will be a subsystem capable to support aided clinical diagnosis in the field of infectious diseases. This subsystem will include an inference system built upon Machine Learning to improve decision support for the prevention, treatment and management of infectious illness. Apart from that, the system will be able to run in an isolated and pervasive way to avoid problems in low connected regions. Finally, there will be a centralized pattern recognition system designed to detect disease and health patterns in collected data.
Teamnet will develop the mobile applications (Android and iOS) that will collect the data from the sensors and the recommended system intended to fill in the lack of medical doctors in rural areas. A web interface designed to display aggregate data about the patients will also be developed as part of the system.
The specific scientific and technological challenge of this project is to provide real-time and on-line primary healthcare to remote areas using technologies and affordable easy-to-access equipment (e.g. smart-phones, biometric bracelets etc.). To achieve this goal, several challenging tasks must be fulfilled: developing specialized algorithms which integrate medical knowledge and supporting computer-aided decisions (automatic detection, tele monitoring, early warnings and even treatment guidelines) to improve the medical services. This will be a first step in developing autonomous medical systems able to provide medical services for early diagnosis, prevention and prescription proposals.
Facilitate eldercare patients suffering from infectious diseases in areas with little or no access to health services is a key for the software implementation of the project objective and is the International competitiveness, novelty and innovation potential of the proposal, since enabling universal access to health services to which populations away entitled. Because universal access to health services one of the remaining tasks by governments in Latin America. Thus, this project uses the advances in technology with telemedicine, as an innovative health proposal and possible solution of this problem.
The following objectives will be covered both in Europe and in Latin America and the Caribbean (CELAC):
- To develop a big database of clinical registers of institutionalized patients based in data obtained by patient tele-monitoring.
- To develop an algorithm that allows early detection of urinary and respiratory diseases.
- To analyse the influence of the algorithm application in frequenting emergency services.
- To develop the tele-monitoring system in an area without easy availability to health resources.
- To analyse the influence of the system development in the detection and treatment of infectious diseases.
- Fundación para la Investigación Biomédica del Hospital Universitario Príncipe de Asturias – Spain
- Østfold University College – Norway
- Instituto Tecnológico de Buenos Aires – Argentina
- Teamnet World Professional Services – Romania
- Universidad Autónoma De Santo Domingo – Dominican Republic
- Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá – Panama